tenorman
Staying Upright

Bikes: Waterford, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxcraft
I'm in the market for a new STEEL bike! My budget WAS $2000. With that in mind I found the Lemond Sarthe, which appears to be a great bike for the money.

Recently, I've been looking into Independent Fabrication and I really like the idea of a custom frame.

Is the IFAB really worth twice the price of the Lemond?

My riding: I do a lot of 30 to 50 mile group type rides. My average speed is about 17.5 mph. This year I want to do a couple centuries. I'm not into racing much...but I'll probably enter into a race this season to see what its all about.

Opinions?
I enjoy long rides and prefer the combination of the moderate livliness and comfort of modern steel...just my subjective taste. The Sarthe is a great value for the money but if you could pony up $1000 or a little more, get measured and order a custom frame. You can't beat the feel of a custom-fit frame, I ordered a Waterford last year and it just fits me like a glove. One of the guys who works in the shop where I ordered my Waterford has a custom IF, and it is really nice too. If you decide to go custom, there are a number of high-quality framemakers out there. Just make sure you get a good fitting. But...will be more than $2000.