fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That Cliffhanger wheel is a good choice. It is setup for a presta valve, which is not a big deal. All of my bikes are presta, for me it is a much better setup.

If your pump can fill both, just use the presta side. You'll need to get a presta valve tube for the new wheel. You shouild also get a presta to schrader valve adapter ($2) to carry with you in case you want to add air at a gas station, or if your pump is only schrader. Personally, I would eventually replace all my tubes to ones with presta valves. You should get an adapter nut ($2) for the front wheel if you want to run a presta valve in your existing rim.

You will need a 4.5mm spacer ($5) to put on the freehub to run a 7 speed cassette and a Shimano lockring tool ($8). Sunrace is a good choice for a 7 speed cassette. Go to their site and look at the options. Cheapest way is to get one that has the same tooth large cog so you don't need to replace the chain because it is too short. After 250 miles there is no reason to replace it now.

You will probably need to adjust the derailleur limit screws and the indexing. When you get to that point, you can check out videos or ask back here.

John
I think I'm going to go with the Cliffhanger wheel, which seems to be a pretty good deal. I didn't notice the Presta valve - but that's fine. I'll need to order the tubes online, but I also need to order a replacement tire. My local Wally World doesn't carry 26" presta tubes. As for my pump, I believe it has an adapter for presta valves that slots into the pump head. (However, I know my frame pump only works with Schrader valves.) And I'll just go ahead and get an adapter nut for the front rim to make them both work.

As far as the gearing, would the previously linked Shimano CS-HG200 12-32t work best, or the Sunrase CSM40 11-34t? My current gear on there is a Shimano 14-34t.

So, right now, these are the things I'll need to purchase:and...With the cheaper Sunrace gears, I would only be over my $200 budget by about $15. Which is okay, as long as I don't have to worry about wheels, hubs or spokes ever again.

Last edited by fullergarrett; 05-06-20 at 12:18 PM.