Old 12-28-15, 08:55 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Picking up this conversation from another thread.

Originally Posted by 1incpa
The tape method you describe is how I've always heard it done for cross. But it's been at least a few years since I've heard of anyone using tape. I use glue, personally.
I've always done 2 coats of glue on the rim and tape, letting them dry completely between coats, then 1 more on the rim and install the tire with that wet. Maybe I've been wasting glue all this time?
Paul
I don't entirely understand the rationale behind multiple coats and have always had a bunch of questions about this - largely because I've heard a few people express the opinion that more layers of glue is somehow "stronger." Which does't make sense - when you apply another layer of glue to a dried layer, it dries and those two layers become one thick layer. What benefit does it provide? Is it flawed to think of glue in "layers" at all, since the point is to have the glue penetrate the basetape and adhere the whole thing to the rim? Does a thicker layer provide more opportunity for separation in that interface?

Is there a benefit to laying down thin layers so that they dry faster or more thoroughly before you add more glue on top of it?

I've always done one clean, consistent layer on the rim; one "layer" on the tire - although it's not really a layer, at all - it's about the glue soaking the basetape. I don't want "layers" on top of the basetape on the tire. And, if I'm re-gluing a tire, chances are good I'm trying to remove any dried glue that has layered on top of the basetape.

Anyone want to weigh in on their thoughts about this issue?