Old 10-03-16, 12:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
How many of the commenters here have ridden both a Pangea and a LHT (I have, and they both are very good, but definitely ride differently)? For that matter, how many have even ridden (or even seen in person) a Pangea or other Co-Motion bike?
Actually, I live about 45 minute from their shop in Eugene, OR. I have taken the opportunity to watch their bikes being built when my wife's frame was being built. I have been in there quite often. I can't compare it to the fabrication of frames in Taiwan, but the Co- Motion folks are rear craftspeople.

I'd like to pass on a couple examples of Co-Motion"s customer service:

When I brought my wife's frame home from the Co-Motion Shop, and started building it up, I had her check the standover height after I was able to put the wheels on it. I thought it was a little tight, and was concerned about it. We took the bike into their shop, and Dwan, one of the owners, remeasured my wife, and the bike. He thought it was going to be a good fit. We were planning on leaving on a short tour in about two weeks, and planned on using her old touring bike. However, Dwan told me to go ahead and finish the build, and take the Co-Motion instead. He said,"If she does not like it, we will build her a new frame when she gets back." That bike is a little over 5 years old, and it just turned over 17,000 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. I'd be afraid to ask her what she would do if she had to choose between me or her bike

When coming back from a tour, her bike was damaged during shipping. The right rear cantilever boss was bent and showed a small crack where it joined the chainstay. I did not notice this until I was cleaning up her bike a few days later and getting it ready for a 2-month European tour. This was on a Saturday, and we were flying out Thursday. I called the Co-Motion shop Monday morning, and was told to bring it in. I had it down there within 45 minutes. They told me that they may have to remove the paint to check the cantilever post damage. I told them to do whatever they needed to do, and starting prepping my wife's other touring bike for the upcoming tour. Tuesday morning I got a call to come and pick up her bike. The shop had replaced the Cantilever post. They said they did not have time to get it painted (the whole rear triangle)before we were leaving, but would paint it when we got home. I slapped on a coat of primer, and off we went. It got painted on our return.

I'm not going to have those kinds of experiences with my LHT. My wife has been trying to persuade me to get a Co-Motion for quite awhile. She says "I deserve it." I appreciate her feelings, but so far I've been able to resist the temptation. But who knows! My point is: sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I should have done a better inspection of her bike based on the poor condition of the shipping box. It took a lot of force to bend that canti post.

Co-Motion's brazing and finishing are pretty amazing. This is my shop getting ready for a temporary coat of primer.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-03-16 at 02:31 PM.