Old 12-10-19, 08:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive work bicycle commute number 860:

Cold again this morning with an air temp of 9F and a 21 mph headwind which made for a -11F wind chill. Surprisingly, the MUP had not yet been plowed from yesterday morning's snow. Usually by now they've at least began the process. The temp was about 5 degrees warmer than they predicted, so at least I had that going for me.

Not supposed to warm up at all today. In fact, it is projected to get a bit colder as the day progresses. Also the wind is supposed to shift around so I'll get to fight it on the way home as well. Air temp is supposed to be below zero by the weekend, so I think it's safe to say winter has arrived.

The fat bike was shining on the frozen ruts left from other riders and pedestrians. I can barely feel them, where as with my old winter bike I would go to great lengths to try and find virgin snow because the ruts would slow me down significantly. On mornings like today where there had been a lot of traffic and hardly any virgin snow left, it would have made for a much slower commute.

I did have my first crash of the season. Kind of. I came out from under an overpass and hit a big drift of snow sitting on top of sheet ice. The bike came to a rapid halt and slid out from under me. Somehow I managed to leap over the handlebars and stayed on my feet. However the quick jerking motion on this old body will probably make me more sore than had I just laid down in the powder.