Old 03-24-20, 08:20 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
No kidding.
I can't give stuff away.
Posted these bikes in the local buy and sell, got no offers, no replies...\

You are in a unique, strong market. In my area, the market for the bikes you have hanging there has been DEAD for 4 or 5 years. OK, I could still sell the two Bianchis you have there, but at prices you would not want to hear.

I have donated most of the ones I have had left. The flip game is over here, and has been over for a while. Sounds like your market is just now seeing what I have been seeing for years. Local buyers want nothing to do with DT shifters, most don't want a bike with bar end shifters either. The price of used lower end STI bikes has gotten so low, that it has displaced the demand for older bikes. Here, if you are patient, you can find a used, name brand bike with STI shifters in the $100 to $150 range. There continue to be sellers that think their bikes are worth more, but you see those listings posted for months on end.

I see a nice, Japanese touring bike from a respected brand right now for $75, and its been for sale for a while. Back in the flip prime, I sold similar vintage touring bikes for $400. And they sold fast.

IMHO, it's over. Stick a fork in it. Dead. Lower prices to levels you are not accustomed to and move remaining stock. Part some out. Donate some others. And put a select few up on Ebay, bikes that are special.

To anyone in a market where they can still sell nice vintage middle level or lower bikes, sell them NOW. I would expect your market to eventually become like mine. You may be enjoying a lag right now. It will not last.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-24-20 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For wrk101: