Old 05-24-20, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisp72
Ok...an update after our second date...

I met up with Sophie and we travelled from her place in Toronto to a small town where she had spent some time earlier in her life called Milton...
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Surprising, that being from the GTA you've never been to Milton. I have not been in 30 yrs, but I remember a cozy little farming town. We used to go rock climbing at Rattle Snake Point

For credit card touring I suggest Niagara on the Lake, it's flat, plenty of quiet country roads and romantic

For camping , you know you cannot beat Muskoka or the Bruce
Originally Posted by Chrisp72
MarcusT...I had been living in BC for roughly twenty years and have recently moved back from there and am now in Ontario...well three years ago.

I hadn't really had a chance to explore areas of Ontario that didn't have a university campus on them when I was in my early twenties but will try and make up for it now. I feel there are many uncut gems hidden among the small towns and will look for them.

Hopefully Sophie and I will do some more adventuring in the future.

Thank you for the tips on where to go in Ontario
I’ve been following this, and the other companion threads from the beginning, and earlier posted, partly for the romantic intrigue, and also because
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I got lucky during the Golden Age Bike Boom of the 1970s: We met in a college freshman course and our first mutual activity was cooking. I got the cycling bug first and she followed...
… In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston.
. In particular I previously posted about riding in Toronto.
...Again, I don’t have any specific advice, but Toronto has been a favorite city of mine, and have posted about two visits that included cycling
FYA, our futher experiences in Ontario:
Originally Posted by clasher
Is the bluewater bridge still open to bikes? I know there are sidewalks on the one span, but no idea if they're still around. If you want a nice campground, make the detour up to Pinery Provincial Park. It's a nice ride along the shore of Lake Huron, and not a bad ride back to Waterloo.

I plan on doing the Waterloo-Pinery ride in a few weeks. It's nice rolling country out that way, and a lot of nice quiet roads too
Nice to hear about Pinery Park. That was a favorite destination (by car) when I lived in Detroit in the 1970's My girlfriend (now wife) and I cycled from Detroit over the Blue Water Bridge up the Lake Huron coast to Tobermory, Manitoulin Island and Sudbury, then took a train to Toronto and back to Detroit via Kitchener, where I had relatives.

BTW, there was a recent thread on the Great Lakes Regional Forum, "Detroit to Windsor Ontario," which included some remarks about crossing [by bicycle] at Port Huron, and Marine City:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=546674
and

BTW, My adult cycling started in the Detroit, MI area,and my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I toured in Southeastern MI and Ontario. FYA, we rode the Lake Huron coast through Goderich, among other towns, to the Bruce peninsula, Tobermory, Manitoulin Island to Sudbury, and train to Toronto, which we have visited on several occasions.

Another tour took us to London, ONT and Kitchener, where I have relatives. Pinery Provincial Park was a favorite day outing (by car from Detroit).

For a few years in the 1990's after moving to Boston we stayed at Clevelands House in the Muskoka Region. When we currently drive to Michigan from Boston,we pass from Buffalo to Sarnia.
Once on that segment in Ontario, my son and I visited Niagara-on-the-Lake, and it indeed was an unbelievably charming town.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-24-20 at 07:11 AM.