View Single Post
Old 06-18-20, 04:53 PM
ulstoft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Frame: 26 inch wheels are stronger. Not sure of how heavy is your load. If you build a front loader, 700c no issue. If you heavily load the rear, it may cause broken spokes?
I have broken 700c spokes before while touring, but then I just moved to a much stronger wheels with more spokes. The last wheels I used for touring are called 'Hope Alpha 400' and they nearly indestructible. I just felt like due to my height I did not want 26 inch wheels, but I may regret that if I end up touring across the developing world. In that case, I will bring a set of spokes in different sizes.

Drivetrain: 8 speed is cheaper. 22-32-44 front and 11-34 are good choices.
Regarding the chain-set, I did extensive touring on 50-34 with 11-32, 11-34 and 11-36 cassettes with 4 panniers and up 40 to 50 lbs of kit. The 11-32 left me pushing the bike up steep hills, the 11-34 I could climb most hills, but the steep ones were hard on the legs. The 11-36 I could climb virtually anything, but I still felt like I wanted a wee bit more. My knowledge of gearing is pretty poor. I am assuming this setup will provide more climbing power?

Brakes: you can get v and disc compatible frames.
The frame and forks will be different with the disc bake option so that is a choice I have to make up front. I was also advised that the fork used in the v-brake setup provides a more comfortable ride. I think the disc brake setup uses a straighter fork.

Handlebar and stem: How heavy are you planning to load the front? 630mm seems narrow and 110mm seems long.
I think it is due to my funny shape. I'm 6-3, but my jean length is ~ 34. My frame size came out at 57 which had perfect clearance. But most size charts from most manufacturers would put me at 58 to 60. Just to show you, a guy recently tried to fit me up to a 56 CAAD-13. I usually put most of the weight in the back. In my system, the front panniers are more overflow capacity for the latter part of the journey when I'm only doing short distances and spending more time camping,

​​​​​​​
Tires: How heavy are you planning to load? Light off road loaded with 32mm is it too small??
The tyre specification is my fault. We were discussing tyres and I said that a 32 is the minimum needed to stand up a loaded touring bike when it wants to go over in the mud, but I did not mean to indicate that I wanted a 32. I think I am going to request 35s which is arguably thin, but I feel confident carrying 50lbs on 35s.

​​​​​​​
Kickstand: Have you considered double? Easier to load when the bike is vertical.
Yes this stand will not work for loading the bike. I definitely wanted a good stand when I was touring with a single wheel trailer, but for panniers I think I'm okay. The only pity is that leaning the bike up against things to load it will inevitably causes scratches.