View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 02:38 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I like every change they made. I even like the color. Bought a Rayleigh Tamland a couple of years back and it came with through axles, wider tires and the mechanical Spyre brakes. About time Surly went to the stronger axle standard. Also like the shorter chain stays, should be more like a Soma Saga.

9 speed chains are less expensive than 10 or 11. 8 speed stuff is cheaper yet but getting harder to find cassettes and shifters for 8 speeds.

All those front fork eyelets do look odd, but better too many than not enough.

Hard to believe these changes aren't going to cause some of the hardcore truckers to have a coronary. Touring blogs argue bar end shifters and even cantilevered brakes like this site argues carbon vs. steel. Kind of a the more you suffer, the more it shows you really care thing. I really prefer the brifters. So much nicer to ride.

Wish I could go look at one. Tempted now. The through axles make the wheels compatible with my Tamland.