View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 06:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
So true! I use to ride motorcycles a lot and had some nice ones. My group use to also push the envelope so to say on mountainous winding roads and when you go hot and quickly into a turn you did not suspect or see ahead of time, you used control rear bake to drag the tire a bit. Not ideal but works and I went to basic and advanced motorcycle riding schools and this was taught a bit in the advanced. I have left my share of tire marks on some dicey curves and also lost some days of my life after I reflected on what just happened!

I have this one descent that is a regular route for me and I routinely get the 23mm tires up to 45 mph and that is holding back a tad. Every time I do this route in my mind is just that......please tires do not fail me and nothing run in front of me...LOL
I’m no expert on riding a motorcycle, however, I believe motorcycle riding techniques are rarely informative in how to best ride a bicycle. The tires are dramatically wider, the weight is several hundred pounds different, the horsepower differential is several orders of magnitude.

In my understanding dragging a rear brake on a motorcycle is mostly a technique for low speed maneuvering and tight corners. It’s also done while balancing throttle input. You don’t have a throttle on a bicycle.

IMHO, dragging a rear brake cornering at the limit on bicycle is a very bad idea. Tires have a limited amount of friction. That friction can be used for breaking, or cornering. Friction used for braking is not available for cornering. Thus using the rear brake while cornering by definition increases the likelihood of the rear wheel sliding out.

Admittedly, if you’re below the limit it doesn’t matter. However, if you’re worried about crashing, you really don’t need to be lowering the limit by braking in a turn.

Much better to brake once firmly before the turn, then let the bike run until wheels are pointed straight again.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.