Old 09-30-17, 11:38 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sfh
So I'm totally new to this. I've been in the process of looking for a new road bike because I bought a CX bike a few years ago as a do-it-all. But instead of rushing out to buy, I decided I should actually race cyclocross since that what the bike is for. It's a CAADX Tiagra with canti brakes.

I did my first race last weekend. Conditions were dry, but I found my back wheel especially slipping all over the place. I was running at 35psi in the stock Sammy Slick tires (700x35c). Any recommendations on other tires for racing? Wondering if the Sammy Slicks are just too slick to have a good grip on a course.

Thanks.
I'm partial to Clement. This season I have a PDX on the front and MXP on the rear. I like tires with some bite, even if it's dry out.

The MXP is new for me this season, and so far so good. There's been a wide range of conditions in the 3 races I've put on this set up so far. The rear slips a little here and there, but in spots on the course where you'd expect it to (i.e. muddy off cambers, leaning in on grassy turns, etc).

Once the rains really settle in and things get extra slick (which will be in like 2 weeks), I'll put another PDX on the rear.