Old 06-25-19, 09:53 PM
Saul KK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Gravel, touring, commuter bike design questions

I'm in the process of designing another bike for myself, and thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback on a few things from some more experienced frame builders.

This bike is going to be my daily commuter, and I also want to be able to do some weekend gravel adventures on it. Also possibly some over nighters with some gear, so will be putting bosses on the forks and seat stays. I will probably be running a light handlebar/front rack bag most of the time also.

I have proportionally longer legs than upper body, and am not particularly flexible, which is why I'm going for a slightly more upright riding position. I'm achieving this by steepening the ST angle, slackening the HT angle, and shortening the stem. The other reason for these front end angles/dimensions is that I want to have absolutely zero toe overlap with up to 2.4" X 650b tires.

I have been playing around with riding positions on the last bike I made, and this looks to be about right for me as far as I can tell.

The part I am not sure about, is how much trail I should be aiming for with a 71° head angle?

I plan on mostly running 700c X 32-42mm tires for commuting, but I want the option to run 650b X 2-2.4". Are there any special considerations when making a bike that can run both 700c and 650b? Aside from obviously frame tire clearance.

I am still deciding on lugged vs fillet brazed, which will also slightly depend on whether I can find lugs with the correct anlges. I will also be doing a yoke/plate style BB chainstay area for max tire clearance.

I will be running SRAM Force 1x11 hydraulic disc groupset with post mount disc brakes.

I will be doing paragon syntace 12x142 rear and 12x100 front thru axles.

I am thinking of using oversize columbus zona tubing in 8/5/8 or 7/5/7 along with zona 29er chainstays and seatstays. Does this sound about right?

I weigh about 70kg/155lbs

I plan on using the pacenti style lugged MTB crown from ceeway, and bending my own fork blades. I am a little concerned about fork vibration while heavy braking with this style of fork and disc brakes, is that likely to be a problem? And which blades would you recommend for stiffness and being able to bend for rake?

Is there anything you would suggest I change about this design? Or any suggestions before I start ordering parts?

Thanks a lot in advance!

​​​​​​