terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Emergency braking” is just what it implies. Done out of necessity without prior planning. Do you ride exclusively in the drops at all times?
Of course not. I ride in the drops whenever it's likely I may need to emergency brake.

Like the other night. I was coasting down a straight 6% grade in a residential neighborhood with good pavement. But since it was dark, and my ability to see in the distance was compromised, I was in the drops. Good thing, too, because a deer jumped out in front of me. I emergency braked and avoided a nasty collision.

You’ve been shown lots and lots and lots of examples of professional racers racing on surfaces that are far worse than just uneven or rough pavement while on the hoods.
Incorrect. Some people have posted photos of pros riding on hoods, with no context. However, pros take stupid risks all the time. They are not a great example to emulate.

Most people are going to be more cautious on unfamiliar roads, never mind during poor visibility. They aren’t really going to be going that fast and need to be more upright to scan the road.
Unfamiliar roads bring unexpected hazards. Many of those hazards are better handled while in the drops. If you are prepared, you can ride at a decent pace and still avoid hazards. One way to be prepared is to ride in the drops, with fingers on the brake levers.

And how is that going to help in a crosswind? Your surface area isn’t any different from the side when down in the drops than when upright.
Lower profile means the tipping torque is less (compare van to sedan), and a good grip on the hooks makes it easier to perform steering corrections.

(Sprinting is) more of a racer thing. Even then there are examples of people sprinting from the hoods and winning a race. Perhaps it’s bad form but last I checked, bicycle racing doesn’t award points for style and/or artistic merit. Most of the rest of us aren’t going to be sprinting to win a race in the first place.
Sprinting in the drops is faster, and it offers better control. Even a recreation rider who has raced someone for the town limit sign knows that. But of course, if you never sprint, learning this technique has no value.