Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Just checking to see how the OP's condition is. Hopefully, it's trending in a positive direction.
Thanks for checking! I'm doing much better, fortunately. My doc put me on Xarelto which is a newer anticoagulant, I'll be on it for at least 3 months. After going on the medication, I was still in pretty intense pain in my leg with any sort of activity including just walking from the bed to the bathroom, but that has gradually lessened. I also ended up buying a compression sleeve for the calf which has actually been a game changer. It keeps the swelling down and once I put it on I was almost immediately able to walk normally and gradually build back up to normal-length (but lower intensity) workouts on the trainer. Pre-Covid my 5 minute power from a Zwift race on my smart trainer was something like 380 watts, and my peak 20 minute power was around 320. Yesterday I tried a little more intensity and I was able to hold 240 for 20 minutes without too much difficulty and 290 for 5 minutes. That's very encouraging for me, even if there's a long way to go, and I was in no pain at the end of the workout. My lungs felt fully recovered and I wasn't experiencing the sort of exercise malaise/fatigue that I did initially.

That said, I'm very lucky that the recovery has been relatively quick, especially given what Drew mentions in his post. There are some new studies out about the affect Covid has on blood vessels, very interesting stuff, also makes me worried about additional clots in the future as it seems that the damage it causes can be quite severe.

https://khn.org/news/clots-strokes-a...blood-vessels/
Likes For Dan333SP: