Old 03-09-21, 08:41 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I am in a very similar situation as you. 55 year old, 35 mile round-trip commute - albeit I live in San Diego, so less weather issues.
I try to ride as much as possible, but it is a large time commitment. I landed at 2-3 times per week most weeks. Occasionally 4, and occasionally 0.
I also have a mass transit train that I can take if I have to (almost never do, but good to have in-case).
One of my motorcycle buddies back in the day rode 70 miles to work and back daily. He burned out on riding during the week, and didn't want to ride on the weekends. I want to avoid that on the bicycle - Too much riding to work might dull my motivation to ride on weekends or go on bike tours.

Originally Posted by h_curtis
I have been commuting about 10 miles round trip with a nice long hill on the way in. (Pittsburgh). I am moving and my commute would be about 19 miles one way or 38 miles total on mostly flat. I used to ride one 20 mile ride a week last year to keep myself in better shape. On top of that my job is working on my feet and lifting mostly light things for 8 hours, so I am physical there too.

I am thinking of riding for fun most of the time and one day a week ride in to work with the 38 mile round trip. What do you think? It does seem like a lot, but is it?

Another point is my main commuting bike has 700x40's with a Shamano 8sp, but I have a road bike with 700x25's. Do you think it would make a huge difference in effort? The 40's are very good tires with easy roll, but some tread. All weather.

Thanks.