View Single Post
Old 06-18-21, 02:58 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Well, some good information here and @ merziac, I will be the first to admit to not knowing all that much about some things. In this instance, I always used to use the alloy indexed seat posts, be they Campy two bolt or one bolt, or SR or anything similar.

What I am learning from this thread is that the Old School saddle clamp design, at best, is poor from a mechanical point of view. To that add that one must super SUPER tighten the clamping nuts, something that I have been reluctant to do as my training, as a professional mechanic, suggests not over torqueing a fastener.

I also learned that the generic version of the Old School saddle post clamp is not good at all. Name brand versions might prove more worthy for the task I believe that I do have an Ideal clamp or two tucked away. I will find one and consider using it as opposed to the cheap generic no brand one that came with my Torpado. I am not filled with confidence.

The newest, and possibly most enlightening suggestion was offered by Prowler who suggested cleaning and dressing the clamp, then tightening the bejeezus out of the clamp assembly.

You all might be wondering why I am using the Old School saddle clamp to begin with. Simply put, I was hoping to keep my Torpado as original as possible but that goal is, slowly, slipping away from me.

However, for me things have changed a bit over the past few years.

These days, I like to restore (and I mean restore) older school bikes, such as my recently completed entry level Torpado that came originally fitted with the Old School style of seat post and clamp assembly...

I really like riding this old Torpado but it does have its issues, one of which is the saddle clamp assembly. I just might sand an alloy post down to fit. I have already chosen to swap out the original handlebar for a wider and more comfortable SR offering. Needless to say, for me, original pedals are out of the question - SPD for me, period. And that plastic FRECCIA D’ORO saddle is a real bummer, which will soon be replaced with a Brooks B17.

The wing nuts are soon to be replaced with quick release Campagnolo hubs and skewers (my hands are not strong enough anymore to tighten up the wing nuts). Lucky me scored the perfect Campy set a few days ago so they will soon be part of the Torpado, along with a late sixties Weinmann alloy rims...

Changing the hubs will make it possible for me to achieve more suitable gearing for my old arthritic knees. I want to install a Campagnolo Gran Tourismo rear derailler (will not install with the wing nuts in place) which will offer me a wider gear range...

So, I give up on keep it original and am off to my man cave (really is cave like with a dirt floor, spiders and Canadian Shield earth's crust out cropping) to find and sand down an alloy indexed post to fit. C'est la vie!