View Single Post
Old 06-19-21, 08:46 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I can't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about adjusting a Campagnolo 2-bolt post (Record 1044). All it takes is a long 10 mm wrench with a 12-point offset box end -- mine's by Mac Tools. Wrench access from the rear of the saddle, between the rails (B17 in my case, with a saddle bag mounted to the loops) and, having gotten the saddle in "the ballpark" by hand, do the front bolt with the wrench handle angled down, and then turn over wrench and do the rear bolt with wrench handle angled up EDIT: work each bolt with the wrench handle angled upwards from the box end -- but if there's no bag on the saddle you can flip the wrench over for the rear bolt, if you prefer. With this approach, you can do one "notch" in the box end for each pass on a bolt. I put a finger over the top of the box end to keep it fully engaged to the hex head of the bolt. Never had a problem, and have done it on the road plenty of times (said wrench fits into said saddle bag, Acorn M/L no longer offered, apparently). No lifting of skirts or zee-shaped instruments necessary at all.

10 mm wrench about 6-1/4" or 160 mm long

Offset angle on head

Engaged to front bolt head

Engaged to rear bolt head

I don't see why this wouldn't work on a Brooks Pro, or a Selle Italia Turbo, the other two types of saddle I've ridden; they don't even have bag loops.

My first "serious" bike had a Campagnolo Super Record (single-bolt) post. That was a bear to adjust because no matter how you positioned the saddle, and held it in place while tightening, it moved, tilting either forward or back from where you wanted it. Later, I got the Nitto 626 "Crystal Fellow" single-bolt post, which I found a bit easier to adjust, but still a pain. When I started using the Campagnolo two-bolt post, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Why anyone would use one of those Raleigh types, I have no idea (though there's one or two in my parts inventory). Suntour made two-bolt posts that adjusted from the underside; I have a couple. So did Weyless. Sugino made a "Mighty" Campagnolo 1044 clone, too.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 06-20-21 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl: