Old 08-28-11, 01:46 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Making of a Winter Commuter

This spring, I got a wild hair, and decided to reclaim/relocate my past passion for biking. I began commuting to work daily, and love it more and more all of the time. I am not sure how tough I am, but I'd like to try winter commuting. I decided (after I sold my daughter my 26", since I was riding my new 29er every day) that I would try to find an old 26 inch to put some studded tires on. I ordered a pair of studded tires, and found myself an old steel Trek 800 (incidentally, the bike I sold my daughter was a Trek 820 singletrack Antelope). The frame is a little small for me, but it's comfortable on the ride, and I feel somehow safer on it (closer to the ground, perhaps?).
I picked up the bike for $40, which might not have been a bad deal, but I may as well admit now that this project won't be about the money, but rather about the project itself.
I decided that I want it BRIGHT, for easier visualization by cars, so I picked up some tri-coat auto paint in lime green iridescent from the body shop. I stripped off all of the parts, and my local chain sports store mechanic took out the bottom bracket and took the fork out for me.
Now I have to paint it, and then the fun begins. I truly have very little knowledge of what I am doing, but am excited to learn. I would imagine that a bike repair book is probably a good idea. So far I've just been youtubing everything I need to learn.
Any advice that you have for me is always appreciated... I'm embarassed to say that I never took a pic of it before I started disassembling it. Of course, I have about a hundred pics during the disassembly, but no full bike shots (and I'm NOT putting it back together now for a pic! ). I'll try to post any progress pics along with any updates.