Old 10-01-18, 08:58 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
unfortunately, in cycling, many rules are written so vaguely that enforcing them winds up being a matter of discretion anyway. i think about this often re: the rule banning collusion.
I agree. Some things are subjective. I watched two teammates from Colorado be relegated and DQ'd for Collusion in a 4-up match sprint at Masters Nationals once. The offending gesture was them making eye contact.

But, I've never seen it called at TTown during Keirin tournaments when there are 2 sets of 3 members of a National team blocking and boxing like crazy...in a UCI event with UCI Points being awarded.

I think that technical rules are much less ambiguous. Technical rules being things that can be objectively measured (like frame dimensions, saddle setback, broken or not). I think that a broken chain, pedal, cleat, saddle, etc... should be fairly straightforward. There should be a clear distinction between a worn cleat and a broken one. The latter having cracks or being in multiple pieces. Any cleat wear should be considered user error and not a defect.

Regarding disengaging pedals:

I disengaged during my first ever flying 200 effort during my certification course. I was running Shimano SPD-SL pedals with a tension set fine for road riding. When I stood up for my jump my left foot disengaged. I was pulling up vertically, not twisting my foot. Luckily I was able to get down on the saddle and do a one-footed shuffle for a while then get back into the pedal...and complete the F200

But, as other's have mentioned, I've also seen worse. I watched a guy at then end of a scratch race stand to do a "roadie sprint" (waving back and forth) and disengaged his Speedplay Zeroes and hit the deck breaking his collar bone. He threatened to sue the bike shop that installed them, however I (and many others) happened to have eyes on him (it being the final sprint and all) when the accident happened, and we all agreed that it was his form. I don't think he ever raced on the track again.

Last edited by carleton; 10-01-18 at 01:43 PM.