View Single Post
Old 02-10-20, 01:09 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Here are a few of mine.

[QUOTE=jdawginsc;21315628]Your seven favorite components in pictures and captions

The standard by which all other derailleurs are judged. The dotted background to the embossed words, then the arrows softly bending around the rectangle.

I do not own one. Have always wanted one. They got it right.

Other than the Nuovo Record, these were heads and shoulders in scupted form above the more staid competition.

Campy Nuovo Record RD = classic look. Shifting not so good with larger gears, but so many high level classic bikes had them. Has my vote.

The Stronglight 93bis. This is my vision of crank perfection, super functional, but looks like high art, 1st runner-up Regular Stronglight 93, second runner-up Stronglight 49. OK, I think this is the SINGLE most beautiful component, period! These cranks and Mafac brakes say C&V to me more than any other components. I miss French bikes (not the threading). I even used Mafac Racers on my old Fuji for a while.

Shimano 600 Arabesque. Agreed!! I should have removed them from my bike before I sold it. They were cheap, beautiful and durable. Had them for 30 years of shifting wonderful with the matching front and dear derailleurs. My first runnerup the Suntour ratchet DT shifters, second runnerup the Simplex ratchets.

And, just look, all of these were (gasp!) silver...

Last edited by Bill in VA; 02-10-20 at 01:14 PM.