Bike Forums - View Single Post - Photography forums?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-20, 10:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 773 Posts
Photo.net was pretty good years ago. I started hanging out there around the late 1990s, right about when CompuServe was at end-of-life, and was fairly active until around 2012. No idea what it's like now, haven't been active there in several years. I just took a quick peek at the forums and recognize most of the names. As with bike forums or any older discussion forum, there's often a core group of users who hang around forever. That's good and bad. There's some stability and continuity.

On the flip side, it can be cliquish and occasionally curmudgeonly. Most of the forums have a vibe similar to the mechanics forum here on bike forums. I'm not sure any photo.net forum has quite the convivial vibe of BF's C&V forum, which is unusually friendly and helpful for any forum on any topic.

The site has otherwise been completely revamped since I last looked a few years ago. No idea about how well it functions or how busy it is. I do know that while it began as the oldest and longest surviving photo site online (dating back to the mid-1990s in a rather primitive form) it struggled to adapt to the social media era. There was a major ownership change and a few management changes.

But based on the five minutes I just spent looking in, it seems to be worth visiting.