Old 05-16-20, 08:27 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Right way to put on chain or chain 'rotation'

Before opening quicklink to remove the chain for cleaning first time, I looked at the chain markings so I would put it back on the same way but found the markup lettering like 'Shimano' would be upright for several links, then it would be upside down for another few, in between would be inserted HG-X and Japan C which also would be up or down... I gave up and disconnected, figuring it will probably be obvious once I examine the chain when clean and stretched on the table under good light.

The only obvious thing is, the lettering should be on the outside (on the other side all plates are blank). But there are two ways you can make a circle from the open chain. One circle will have inside part of the chain engaging into gear teeth and if you open the chain and join it the other way, then what was inside will be outside... and it will make the chain rotate in the opposite direction.

Does it matter at all? Shouldn't chains be rotated like this anyway for even wear? Sort of like car wheels in the old days? Or it doesn't make a difference because what wears out is the pin/bushing, and that's symmetric, I mean round?

I tried to search but all I found were threads on completely different subjects, albeit very interesting, and so I made a new one.

Last edited by vane171; 05-16-20 at 08:37 PM.