Bike Forums - View Single Post - What's the pre-load torque for a Chris King 1-1/8" threadless headset?
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
I like the front end of my bike to be as taut as possible. I seem to notice that the front end of my bike develops a slight bit of slop in the handling about once a year. So I loosen my stem bolts and verify that the fork plug is snug enough and then re-do the preload on my cap bolt (without a torque wrench) and finally make sure my stem bolts are tightened correctly.

The tautness is there now, but I fear I may have overdone it with the pre-loading of the sealed bearings on the Chris King headset. I thought I felt a slight bit of notchyness but the handling on the road is good and no hands riding is good. Does anyone know if these Chris King bearings will be damaged if I go (slightly) overboard snugging up the fork plug cap screw?
if I’m reassembling my front end (King threadless h/s, carbon fork) I get everything in place then give the stem a few GENTLE taps with a rubber mallet right at the steerer end, to ensure that everything is “bedded in” before I screw down the top cap. Once the stem bolts are torqued and both checked, the front end holds adjustment indefinitely. IIRC, the top cap torque is on the order of 2-3 Nm, but I usually do this by feel. I do torque the stem bolts, though

Last edited by Litespud; 05-24-20 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For Litespud: