Old 09-15-19, 06:54 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
That is an unusual frame for the late nineties. Are you sure that it is not from the early nineties? The reason I ask is that I have not seen downward sloping top tubes from the that late. I could be wrong but I have just not seen them. If anyone can correct me please do. Maybe it is because it is custom. As I understand it, at some point the sloping tubes and small front wheel were banned for official races. Does this frame fit a 650 front wheel? Forgive my ignorance please. I love the name "Mako Shark" though!

Well thanks for sharing this bike and please do send more pictures of vintage time trial bikes that you really like. Enjoy the ride.
The reason for assuming late 90's is that Reynolds 853 didn't come out until 95, so if that decal is legit, it's at least 95. As for the front wheel, it's possible it had a 650 front wheel, but that would make for an even more aggressive downward slope. Since I don't have the original fork, I can't be sure though. It wasn't until 2000 that the UCI required both wheels to be the same size, so it certainly could have taken 650 front even if used in UCI-regulated races in the late 90's. As I understand the UCI rule, sloping top tubes were still okay, as long as the wheels were the same size and the frame was a triangle.
Likes For AeroGut: