Thread: Tubeless gurus
View Single Post
Old 07-08-16, 11:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Try it, live it, love it....

Get a flat in the middle of nowhere that won't self seal and hold air....

Go back to tubes. There are some very nice riding standard clinchers out there. Most people are not so lucky that punctures are of the microscopic self-sealing variety. And carrying a bead jack gets old to mount tubeless tires after prying them off to get a tube in there. Just not worth it for self-supporting riders.
The sane, stable, cool-headed rider would just put a tube in it like they would any standard clincher flat. It's no big deal, believe me, as I've been there and done that.

I'll also remind you that bead jacks existed before tubeless tires. Do you know what that means? It means tight beads are not the exclusive province of tubeless, and plenty of tubed clinchers are a total pain to mount, too. Of course, I think most tubeless users, myself included, have been able to mount them without any tools, not even a tire lever.