Old 02-19-20, 02:21 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I rode on the New Berlin Recreational Trail from my workplace to the bicycle shop after work yesterday. I could barely get my bicycle moving up the on-ramp to the path from the golf course. The ramp was either ice underneath puddles of water, ice on top of puddles of water, or a couple inches of crusty snow. I had a nice studded tire in the front and a cheap hybrid tire in the back. The slippery part would have been easier with a studded rear tire too, but the rest of the trail was relatively easy to ride on once I got past the entrance. There was another bicyclist ahead of me, but I couldn't catch up to him or her.

I'm really glad that the New Berlin Recreational Trail is plowed in the winter. All the road routes between Milwaukee and Waukesha have scary parts, so I wouldn't be able to get to the area without a plowed MUP like the New Berlin Recreational Trail. Closer to Milwaukee, there are multiple alternate routes to chose from when the unplowed Hank Aaron State Trail is too covered in snow for reasonably easy bicycling. I'd prefer not having any drivers to worry about, but I haven't had too many issues with taking Bluemound or Greenfield to work. I like climbing the hill on Adler when there's enough time, but I left home too late for that route this morning and took Bluemound instead.