Old 03-04-20, 02:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
My wife and I are now singing in the same ensemble. We had rehearsal last night. The forecast called for light rain, so I wasn't worried. My wife arrived by Citi Bike, I by my own bike. After rehearsal, it was raining very hard and somewhat cold. My wife and I agreed to meet at the Citi Bike station. She had her hood on over her helmet, and I said are you sure? She's not as tough a cyclist as I am. She asked me what I thought. I said don't do it. Visibility was crap. She thought better of it and took the subway home. The rain pelted my face, and it felt like needles. The potholes were filled with water, and I didn't know how deep they were. I was unusually afraid of getting rear ended by a car. I rode to the Hudson River Greenway (which has no cars) and then I was safe, and I took that home. Man, what an adventure! I got home and took my clothes off. The fronts of my pants were wet, and the backs were dry. Weird.

Even though I got wet, it's definitely true that fenders make the experience better. Water sprayed by the bike is so much more uncomfortable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.