View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 11:00 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Are the pulleys Suntour branded? If so, the small washers shouldn't be there. If not, then maybe they were an attempt to make something else fit.
Yes, the pulleys are Suntour.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I wonder if someone put those washers in there to spread the cage a bit?

Cheers
Originally Posted by dddd
...or perhaps trying to make the pulley into a floating pulley? This would be more likely if the washer is slightly smaller on the OD than the pulley bushing.

I did the same thing after upgrading a Suntour drivetrain with HG chain and cassette, and which helped accommodate the over-generous amount of overshift freeplay in the Command Accushift levers. I later discovered that simply using a narrower Shimano chain worked better overall.
I think this might be right.

Originally Posted by verktyg
Those washers are just plain WRONG!

That washer looks munged out of round!
The angle might have distorted the image as the actual washer doesn't look out of round.

I removed the cage and took out the washers, everything seems to be running well again - even the messed up dust shield seems not to cause any issues although I think I'll try to find a replacement before I install it on my '89 Voyageur.

Thanks for all the help!