Old 04-14-20, 09:48 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
What do I have here and where am I going with it?

Today I disassembled the bike, beginning the process of deciding what goes and what stays.

Peter's serial number registry mentioned above lists a number of similar bikes with their known or supposed original components. In looking at all the bikes built within a year, more or less, of mine I was not surprised to discover that many of the components remained the same on all of the bikes. I was surprised, however, to find quite a variety in other components. Stems and handlebars were almost universally made by Ambrosio. Derailleurs, shifters, and hubs were were from Campagnolo. Headsets could be Olmo or Campagnolo. Cranksets could be Campagnolo or Magistroni. Pedals could be Sheffield or Campagnolo. Saddles were Italia or Brooks. The widest variety was found in brakes: Mafac, Balilla, Universal, and Weinmann all made their appearances. Olmo was, I believe, a fairly large company and evidently not committed to using only Italian components. Perhaps the larger size gave them a buying power that allowed them to shop around a bit. Sheldon Brown famously described Olmo as the Schwinn of Italy. Citoyen du Monde revised that estimation to "Schwinn of NorthWest Italy" noting that they were a regional rather than national company. Another possibility is that Olmo was willing to give the ordering buyer or shop some freedom in the specification of some components.

In any case this all makes my restoration job a little easier since I have a number of options.

I'm sure there are hundreds of Ideor owners with Olmo pumps who are dying to trade pumps with me. Don't all pmail me at once!

This one's a little more serious. The Laprade seatpost will have to be replaced with a Campy 2-bolt post, but 26.0 is not a very common size.
The Mexican Unicanitor, while it is in beautiful condition, also does not fit the time period. I shall be hunting for one of the old narrow Brooks B-17s or an Italia. The Italias I've seen so far have been either low quality or nearly disintegrated. But Kilroy1988 was able to find a nice one so I have not totally given up on that pursuit.

Here's one where I got lucky. On the left is the newer record derailleur that came with the bike. On the right is the 1960 vintage version which I happened to have in my box of miscellaneous Campy parts. The difference is the leg that protrudes below the clamp and accommodates a cable housing. Note that the cage on the right one is very worn, but it looks to me like I can remove the cage and upper arm from one and transplant it onto the other. I'll report back here on my success or lack thereof.

The 1960 front derailleur, however, requires a different bottom bracket cable guide than the one on the left we are all used to in the photo above. The one I shall have to find has a cable housing stop in place of the front derr. cable guide. A short piece of housing extends from that housing stop to the "foot" on the bottom of the derr. This style of guide was made in two versions that I can find, One that has a brazed-on clip for an old style pump head, and the one that I need without the pump clip. Of course the ones with the clip are numerous and the ones without clips are scarce! If all else fails I will commit a heinous act of Drewage and grind off a perfectly good pump clip!

This practically pristine headset Is too new. This bike wants either an Olmo branded headset or a Campy Gran Sport headset. The Record headset, besides being too new, is also about 1.5mm to tall. Note the lack of a washer. Fortunately the Gran Sport headsets are still fairly easily obtained. I'm also open to any offers of trade.

To be continued.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris: