View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 12:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
.... While slowing down for a red light, not a panic stop, the head tube instantaneously broke free from the top and down tubes......Data point of one.
Excuse me for quoting myself, but the last 4 words here are important. This is a RARE event. I know A LOT of riders, the overwhelming majority riding carbon, and have never heard of an event remotely similar to Jay's disaster. I have and ride a 21 year old Trek OCLV. I check the tube junctions regularly and it will be retired if it ever emits the slightest creak or if I crash it. I replaced the CF fork immediately when one of the legs was scored by a piece of wire I didn't see on the road.

A mutual friend of Jay & myself had an identical frame to his. The LBS who sold both frames called her up so the frame could be "inspected" and then quietly replaced it. I don't know if this was at the behest of the manufacturer and I don't know what the legal disposition was regarding Jay's case.