View Single Post
Old 07-04-20, 08:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Scanned for info on chance of catching COVID from surfaces: supposedly “may be possible” but not the “main” way of transmission. I don’t see any info about confirmed cases caught from surfaces. Easy enough to wipe counters & toilets though.

OTOH isn’t road cycle touring about the most dangerous way to travel even in normal times? With reduced auto traffic, bike touring now might be safer than ever.
I suspect it is possible to get it through surface transfer, but I am not very careful with door knobs, etc. But I do not go indoors anywhere other than my condo without a mask on, and I minimize how often I go indoors anywhere. But right now, my county in Wisconsin is the hottest hot spot of the state, so right now i am being extremely careful.

I think road traffic is almost as high in my area (Southern Wisconsin) as pre-Covid now. I noticed a gradual increase in traffic in Apr though May. The first organized tour I did with a group was the ACA Glacier Waterton loop in 2012. I used my taillight in flash mode every day. On the first few days, I was the only one. By the end of the trip (a week later) a couple others had started to use their taillights in flash mode during daytime. Now, eight years later I even see people using flashing taillights on their bikes on bike paths. I think that most bicyclists are starting to get serious about road visibility. One guy I know used to always ride in cool weather with a black cycling jacket, but not any more, now he only wears fairly visible jerseys and jackets. I get nervous about being on roads that are full of vacationers, I usually time my tours to leave somewhere just as they are starting to get busy, I prefer the roads when there is less traffic.