Old 07-15-20, 10:12 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Wow, that's awful.

How do you handle the flashing lightbars on police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, utility company vehicles, etc?
Mars lights on police cars are not a problem, at least not for me. Automotive turn signals are not a problem either. Flashers on traffic barricades or advertising signs are not a problem. Old stuff that was engineered correctly.

Someone upthread, someone omniscient who can see inside my head, claims that I just made a choice not to ride at night. I do still occasionally do short errands at night. Short. Local. What happens is someone on a bike turns around a corner and comes into line of fire. Grab the brakes. Immediate stop. Avert my eyes and move to edge of road. By feel. There is no longer any possibility whatever of me attempting to operate a motor vehicle at night. Even were it a health emergency for a family member I would not attempt to drive a car at night.

My bike does have a light. Plenty powerful. Lights up the pavement. Has a beam pattern like an automotive headlight. Has a horizontal cutoff so as not to blind other road users. Take a half mile ride for groceries and someone is sure to remark on that light and say nice things. And then do they ever unload on riders using the aircraft landing lights. If you use the high power flashers you are busy making enemies. Just not a good thing to be creating angry upset drivers who hate bikes.

About aiming lights. Locally almost everyone aims the lights up, straight into drivers eyes. If you ask them about it they will say they want to harass drivers. If anyone has lights aimed at road it is probably because the light slipped on the mount.

Slow flash works extremely well. I am obviously sensitive and a slow flash does not bother me at all. If it were something like a nighttime century a slow flash would eventually get to me, ordinary circumstances it is fine.

If you just don’t care about any road user but yourself none of this matters.