View Single Post
Old 06-07-17, 08:00 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
The guy at her (previous) LBS threw together a bunch of shop bin parts and tried to pass it off as a true 1x setup. First he had her on a Shimano 9 speed MTB DR, then tried to put her on an old SRAM Apex DR with this extender. None of them were meant to work together in a 1x configuration and they didn't. Both configs dropped chains for her repeatedly, to the point that she was ready to stop riding altogether. The sad part is he talked her into moving from a fully functional 2x groupset to this mess.

If you've had any experience with 1x stuff, you probably know that a reliable 1x setup is typically built around purpose specific components. I only got involved because he stopped helping her. Once I dumped that stuff and got her a true 1x DR, her problems ended and she's happily riding again. After wasting hundreds of dollars with his shop bin BS, the fix was a $65 1x specific DR.

Maybe this extender works great in 2x setups, but trying to make a short cage road DR work reliably in a 1x config with it did not for her. She has all the parts that didn't work on her bike in a box somewhere, I'm sure she would sell you hers if you want it
all that could have been fixed with a $20 chain guide or $5 FD