View Single Post
Old 06-07-17, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
The guy at her (previous) LBS threw together a bunch of shop bin parts and tried to pass it off as a true 1x setup. First he had her on a Shimano 9 speed MTB DR, then tried to put her on an old SRAM Apex DR with this extender. None of them were meant to work together in a 1x configuration and they didn't. Both configs dropped chains for her repeatedly, to the point that she was ready to stop riding altogether. The sad part is he talked her into moving from a fully functional 2x groupset to this mess.

If you've had any experience with 1x stuff, you probably know that a reliable 1x setup is typically built around purpose specific components. I only got involved because he stopped helping her. Once I dumped that stuff and got her a true 1x DR, her problems ended and she's happily riding again. After wasting hundreds of dollars with his shop bin BS, the fix was a $65 1x specific DR.

Maybe this extender works great in 2x setups, but trying to make a short cage road DR work reliably in a 1x config with it did not for her. She has all the parts that didn't work on her bike in a box somewhere, I'm sure she would sell you hers if you want it
Ok, so this may sound like arguing, it really isnt. I am just curious how the piece of machined aluminum caused all this when the company advertises it for 1x setups and I have seen a few 1x setups using the Roadlink(they werent in use, but itd be dumb to have it if it didnt work).

- So the woman's bike had a 9sp Shimano RD which means Shimano shifting too. That didnt work.
- SRAM Apex 10sp was then installed, so presumably a SRAM shifter too since they need to be mated together. That didnt work.
- So then a SRAM Apex1 11sp was installed. This required yet another new shifter. And now it works.

Am I understanding all this?

1- Why arent shifters swaps included in all this hassle and cost talk?...or have the shifters not changed somehow as brand and speeds changed?
2- Was the crankset a 1x specific with a 1x ring?
3- Was a $25 chainguide ever used? Wouldnt that have solved everything?

4- After all this, I havent seen anything specific to the Wolftooth. Again- they make this product in part so people can run 1x with road derailleurs.

Your friend's issues had to have been frustrating. Why someone went to 1x when their 2x worked perfectly is...odd, but hey- variety is the spice of life, i guess.
Why a derailleur extender on a cobbled together 1x setup without a simple chainguide or 1x crankset is being blamed for chain dropping is...odd.

Yeah, all that got argumentative. It really isnt, its just sarcastic and unbelieving. I know, i know, you were there and I(we) werent. And now that the Roadlink is gone, it all works properly. That doesnt mean the Roadlink was the issue.
I wouldnt do a gravel 1x setup as its too limiting for how and where I ride, but if I were to build one, it would be with proper components to ensure the chain doesnt drop. A 1x chainring and a chainguide. I wouldnt have to then change my derailleur and shifter twice.