Old 08-24-19, 12:40 AM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Some rims' spoke holes don't have enough clearance for the nipple to point toward the hub. Essentially, the spoke hole is too small to allow the nipple to point straight toward the hole in the hub..
This is what is happening. It's clear the rim was made with a standard width hub in mind. If I could draw a line from the center of the spoke nipple straight out, it would land between the flange and the center of the hub (about where the flange on a Derailleur hub would be). I have the same rim and spokes on my front hub which is a Sturmey archer X-FDD (3w dynohub + 70 mm drum brake). Built at the same time and not one broken spoke (and I have a front crate which gets loaded up a lot). It also does not have much, if any, bend in the spokes. But it's also nearly the same width as a "normal" front hub. I likely will be bringing this wheel back and trying to talk with the guy and point out what I feel the problem is. He is actually very nice and clearly with standard gear knows what he is doing (he built a shimano 3 speed wheel for me that lasted years). I'm just asking him to build a wheel he rarely has to deal with. As I said in another thread, most riders hear are of the sporty type, so heavy and solid utility parts are rare here.