CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
Hang on...

Put the brakes on this....

Can you post another photo of the direct side view of the wheel & spokes?

Are the spokes bending side-to-side, or bending inline with the wheel?

The 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x issue primarily has to deal with bends inline with the wheel (front and back).

From your photo, it looks like the bends are side-to-side with a rim with either eyelets or sockets.

That is a completely different issue.

Your IGH hub may have wide flanges as there is less of a need to deal with dishing (and more gears inside).

I can't see an assembly problem from the photo. The eyelets appear to be centered. However, with some wheels, there is an assymetry to the spoke hole drilling. So, if one puts a spoke in the spoke hole loosely and lets it hang, it will have a preference for one side or the other. And every other spoke should have a preference to hang in the opposite direction.

So, a few possibilities:
  • Wheel assembled backwards, and right spoke holes going to left spokes.
  • Eyeletted spoke holes are straight and don't let nipples go to the side enough.
  • Oversized nipples exacerbating the problem above.

Some wheel builders apparently have gently reamed spoke holes in the rims with a drill to get the spokes going in the right direction. But, I'm not sure if that is as effective with the eyelets or sockets.

I'm not sure you'd know if the wheel was built backwards without taking 2 or 3 spokes out and doing the hang test (above)

Those Ryde Andra rims mentioned by @OneIsAllYouNeed really sound HOT.

Here are the 40's on E-Bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-neue-28-z...m/153270529146

They're pretty wide rims, 25mm inside, 31mm outside.

I'm not sure why the narrower Ryde Andra rims aren't popping up on E-Bay, but perhaps the wide ones are good for your cargo bike.

Anyway, if you're rebuilding the wheel, I'd very much consider those Ryde Andra rims (I haven't used them myself, but I like the description on the website).

https://www.ryde.nl/-andra-rims