View Single Post
Old 01-30-16, 11:31 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
My brother, who was my dad's caretaker before me, came to visit with his family.

I snapped at Junior early in the visit for something he did, definitely at an unwarranted level. I permanently took a toy away from him (not "toy detention", the thing is gone).

Later, we all went for my dad's daily walk, about 1.5 miles. My bro knows me, obviously, as he's seen me in many different life stages, stress levels, etc. When we were walking and talking with my dad (and the rest of the gang, his 3 kids, his wife, Junior, and the Missus, were running around so we had privacy).

He asked how it was going.

I told him that if the Missus and I got divorced, the whole process started when I took on the responsibility of caring for my dad. I've never even thought that such a thing would be possible, but being on edge for the whole month has really worn thin at home.

He looked at me and asked if I'd been riding.

"No, not enough time. Plus I've been really sick."
"You need to ride, even if you're really sick."
"What?"
"You have to ride. Get the blood flowing, something. It helps the mind."
"..."
"When I had Dad I used to be on 'Skate Detention' (he skateboards pretty seriously, as seriously as a Cat 3 races). 'Skate Dentention' meant I had to leave the house and skate for a few hours. If I didn't do that it was really bad."
"..."

So tonight I rode. Feel much better.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson