View Single Post
Old 01-09-20, 04:19 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
There's nothing in the wording of either warranty excluding abuse.

Gotta wonder why this was done, however. Yes, you get the leverage, but you get the same slipping a cheater pipe over the wrench. It doesn't make the head any stronger. And yes, I broke the open-end on a 15mm Craftsman ('80s US made chrome vanadium) combo on a particularly recalcitrant pedal. That's when I ordered a Park PW-4 (the "big" asymmetrical wrench), which got 'er done.
My dad used to say "Some people could break an anvil" ! (referring to me when I was young and broke something)

Back in 1966, when I got out of the service, I couldn't get into the Operating Engineers Union as a heavy equipment operator (sons, brothers, nephews only). After months of working 30 day jobs as an operator I went to work for an Allice-Chalmers heavy equipment dealer as a mechanic to make money for school.

One of my jobs was to rebuild bulldozer track rollers. The bolts holding the side plates on had deeply recessed 13/16" heads (stupid design). Standard impact sockets wouldn't fit. The only thing that worked were Craftsman 12 point thin wall 1/2" drive sockets. They wore out or cracked using them with an impact wrench, sometimes 2-3 a day. I used to take them back to Sears and exchange a dozen of them every week.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-10-20 at 12:35 AM.