View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 07:08 PM
rEVOLVED

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Newish Parents, Seeking Advice

Hello, and thanks for reading! I'll try to be brief. My wife and I (28 and 30 years old, respectively) would like to get back into cycling with our two young daughters, 3 and almost 2. I have a basic hardtail mountain bike that I don't mind riding, but I really prefer fixed gear whenever possible. Just the two bikes in our household. Need to purchase one for the wife, and figure out what to do with our daughters. I also have a brand new Bellelli Pepe child carrier that I have only used once, but my daughter was too young for it at the time and was pretty nervous for most of the ride.

As for my wife, we are strongly considering the Windsor Oxford Deluxe (3 speed IGH) from Bikes Direct, especially at under $300. Any other strong suggestions for a Mixte or Dutchie style bike for her? Love the Linus lineup, but they are much more expensive.

As for me, any reason I can't haul a trailer for the kids with my fixed gear? I have a front brake and have put plenty of miles on the bike to feel safe with it.

We would like to ride for a few miles on the weekends, and try to cycle for more coffee and grocery runs. At age 3, did your kids want to be out of carriers and on their own bikes? If so, do I go training wheels or balance bike?

Essentially, I'm looking for product recommendations for one adult female mixte or dutchie, and some way to get my two young girls on the road with us. I'm in AZ and most riding will be on a dedicated multi use path along the canal. Some will be in bike lane (seems terrifying with kids, might stick to the sidewalk).