View Single Post
Old 11-14-20, 08:35 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by TimFr
I own the bike already, I have done many tours including from Rotterdam to Switzerland and back. I am 65 (does that make a difference?) I have a lightweight road bike. And no, it isn't an e-bike!!!
Hoi hoi then Rotterdam!
As you have done touring before, you most likely have an idea of how it was for you with the bars on those trips.
Of course it will be personal, but I have pretty much come to the conclusion over the years that dropbars are still the most comfortable for me. I ride bikes with dropbars, butterfly or trekking bars, and versions of "straight bars"--they arent actually straight, I found out years ago that straight bars are not comfortable for me, my favorite "mountain bike bars" are one that have a slight angle back towards the rider where the grips are, and also are at a good height in relation to the seat. I also use "bar ends" that to me are essential to allow different hand positions. I also use those Ergon grips, with an excellent shape that helps with less pressure points.

that said, I still find dropbars to be more comfortable for continuous days of riding, and I can ride my bike day after day after week with no hand or wrist problems.
Just be aware that different dropbars have different shapes, both in the curve part, and also in how the "drops" can be angled outwards a bit, which can be a great help with a loaded touring bike for more steering leverage.
The model I use is the Salsa Cowbell, look them up, but there are many similar bars now, its all the popular thing on "gravel bikes" now, but the reality is that they suit touring perfectly, in my opinion of course.
Also, look at how diff dropbars have different angles of the "drops", mine are almost parallel to the road, and also my bars are slightly higher up compared to a road bike, so this means that I can actually use the drops easily--very handy when we have strong headwinds all day and I can often use the drops comfortably on and off.

all this is personal, but hopefully you have ridden enough to understand or appreciate my comments.
here is a photo of my touring bike, from the side so you can see the setup.
Look up Salsa, they have many dropbars and you can compare the shapes, mine have only a moderate amount of "flare", but I find them to be great.