View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 11:56 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
I use all types of clipless pedals and toe clips as well - road and mountain bike. But since the OP is interested in traditional toe clips, there are many choices. When I do use toe clips, my preference are cycling specific shoes and using cleats. Nylon cleats for aluminum or steel cage pedals and aluminum cleats only for steel cage pedals.

There's much discussion out there of resulting knee problems with cleats and toe clips due lack of float, though solutions exist. Its an area well worth looking into. I can respect those where toe clips is not the answer for vintage sake and where modern clipless make best sense.

I also have a pair of clever designed toe clip straps made in Italy and superior to the classic leather and grip clasp buckle. They were specific to the ATB market before clipless pedals became available. Very well made with robust nylon and steel buckle not unlike used in snow skiing boots. I acquired them in 1991 and expect them to last 50 years.

Using them is easy and convenient. They retain shape and don't flop down like leather, plus the simplicity by precise tension ratchet adjustment is done on the fly- and or one can leave that fave setting after you release. One finger flips the latch open or close.

I've recently seen them available on eBay but warn are rather expensive, more than a nice modern pair of clipless pedals!