Old 05-17-19, 05:39 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by K R
Just went shopping for a hardtail MTB for me and DW. We're both fairly compact and she fits nicely on a W's small I find I'm somewhere between a Small and Medium Men's bike. A lot of men's mediums size up including going from a 27.5 to a 700c tire and with my 720mm inseam a bike with a 770mm stand-over is a problem. I've had the bad experience of a quick stop and meeting the Top Tube experience and don't wish to repeat it, also I've had my back surgery and don't bend as well as I used to and with disc compression and 72 years young I'm 5'8" going on 5'6" a bit short coupled so a shorter reach is a benefit. Found a Women's Medium that checked all the boxes and fit right in between the men's Small and Medium. Also rather than a step through simply curved the top tube down a couple of cm's giving a stand-over height of just under 690mm, appreciated clearance (seems this is a trend going on with several unisex makers as well (check the REI dirt series). As an added bonus, it's black!

When we got our Diverges last year DW hated the Women's color scheme so she got the Men's with a bar and seat swap, she loves it. So... if she can ride the men's I have no issue with a bike that fits even if it was marked by some marketer as a Women's. I agree with the general sentiment that if "it fits, I sits".

If it fits, it sits, and it shifts, and I can mount it, I ride it. Function follows form (those who adapt, keep riding and enjoying their ride). Glad to see you riding and enjoying it more.