Old 05-20-19, 04:57 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
@RALEIGH_COMP

I've been working on piecing this build together for a while, and here's the first iteration.
Still have some details and bits to change/refine, but it rides great as is.
I'm not sold on the Velo-Orange Porteur rack yet. I have the bag that goes with it, and it holds a ton of stuff which is great, but It throws the weight pretty far forward and makes the handling a little headstrong when I have it loaded with a camera and other bits.
I'm also not sold on the Paul Neo retro/touring canti's (I think I have a half set of each) a buddy gave them to me and I thought it'd be fun for this build to have a component that's a little fancier than what I normally go for, but they don't feel quite as good as some of the other setups I've put on my bikes in the past, but I'll see how they do after the pads and rims break in a little. The VO 60mm fenders work really well with the maxxis DTH 2.15's, despite the fact that the tire is 2mm larger than the largest recommended compatible size. This is my first time using the DTH tires and so far I'm really diggin them.

Very nice build! I used that same model porteur rack on an old Rockhopper 1 x 10 conversion that I renamed "Curbhopper". But I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, mainly because of the reasons you have identified, so it got traded for something else.

Still, if I had to rely on bicycles only for transportation, a rig like this would be very useful to have in the stable. Please keep us posted as this project evolves.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!