View Single Post
Old 10-05-19, 07:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
You are correct. That IS Greg Lemond in the final stage of the 1989 TDF; a time trial. I'll give you three guesses who he made time on and beat; winning the overall victory. He gained those seconds with aero bars and an aero frame (pictured).

Hence the photo of Greg and my comment to ask Laurent Fignon if the aero advantage is real or imagined. (Which is the subject of this thread)

Later that year, Greg snatched the World Professional Road Race gold medal from Laurent (his former teammate). Laurent has since passed on and when I spoke to Greg in June of this year he spoke highly of him.

In my opinion, the 1989 TDF was one of the best in history and ushered in the aero advantage on a much larger scale then ever before.
AND if only had Laurent been on a similar bike with helmet could the 8 seconds been reversed ???

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 10-06-19 at 03:51 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy: