View Single Post
Old 03-01-19, 12:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
Thanks for all the ongoing concern fellas. I honestly appreciate it.

After all the MRI's (4, 2 with contrast), CT's (3, 1 with contrast), blood work (I literally lost count!), and observation, my Doctors all conclude that the hole in my heart chamber is not significant nor the sinister culprit of my stroke. Only after a special order blood test was it discovered that I have a high amount of Lipoprotein-A. This contributes to plaque in my arteries. Most significantly, the back of the neck where it's, unfortunately, inoperable. At some point it's near 50% closure, bummer. I've been placed on a regime of Atorvastatin, Chlorthalidone and low-dose Aspirin. It's telling that 6 months ago I was haughty about not needing to be on any meds "at my age"! Karma much?

I've been following some blogs and posts regarding strokes. I am very aware of how fortunate I am to have come from this event with only limited after effect. I deal with a slight sight issue, headache and buzzing in my ears. To date, the sight thing has either improved or I'm "learning" to compensate. The headache is the worst offender now. Constant and at different levels from annoyance to "leave me alone"! The difficult thing in all this is the knowledge that there's undoubtedly another stroke in my future. Bugger. My only weapons against it are self-inflicted diet constraints, movement, and pills!

Other than that, I'm cautiously getting back into life. Trying to be even MORE aware of diet and exercise, being faithful to my meds, and aware of true matters.

Hey, stop reading and go for a ride....
Doug
Oh man ... that sucks. So your ordinary blood tests showed no problems, and it wasn't until the stroke that they ordered the test that revealed your high amount of Lipoprotein-A? That's kinda scary. Sheez.

Sounds like you have a treatment plan and you'll be up and about on your bike sooner than later. Good luck to ya.

BTW, with all you've been through, you should treat yourself to riding somewhere warm ... like SoCal. C'mon out sometime and we'll give you a grand tour.