View Single Post
Old 03-20-19, 10:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
I hadn't noticed this thread before. Don't know why...it's sitting there at the top of the page.

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Most rides (centuries, weekends, etc): 1981 Ron Cooper - only bike I've ever bought brand new
Commuter: 1986 Miyata 710
Weekend rider for less-hilly rides: 1974 Cinelli Special Corsa
Mountain Bike: 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

I tried a "modern" bike for a while (Trek aluminum with drifters, index shifting, etc) which had some nice conveniences but didn't ride as nicely as my vintage bikes so I got rid of it. I guess I'm just a vintage curmudgeon. I do enjoy beating my younger riding partners with their ridiculously light carbon bikes.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Nope

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I've slowed down since my 20s, but sped up since my 50s. Last year I rode the 130 mile 15,000 ft Markleeville Deathride and climbed Mount Whitney. This year I'm signed up for the Davis Double Century among other things. I'm regularly pulling PRs on Strava. I know this can't go on forever but I'm working on continuous fitness improvement to stave off the ravages of old age.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Got my first bike at age 9. Delivered papers in my teens. Got into biking seriously at about age 20 and have done it continuously since (though reduced effort during the child raising years).

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

All of the above. I frequently do 50 to 70 mile weekend rides, commute to work fairly regularly, ride centuries (and coming up a double century), and would like to get back into touring, which I haven't done for several decades.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

About 3 to 5 times a week. About 5000 miles per year. Hopefully I can retire soon and ramp that number up.