Old 04-16-19, 02:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Those TIAs, mini-strokes, can be frustrating. My mom experienced many of those over the years. Usually they were diagnosed after the fact from symptoms or brain scans. She usually didn't have any dramatic symptoms and I had to watch for subtle changes in her posture, gait, motor coordination or thinking. She also had dementia so it was often difficult to be sure what was happening and what caused it. She was sedentary, from a culture an era when ladies didn't exert themselves to the point sweating or breathing hard, and resisted physical therapy.

And her older half-brother had several major strokes, with very obvious debilitating symptoms. He recovered from most of those but it was a chore. He also had serious problems with arterial plaque and multiple heart problems.

Offhand those are the only two folks in my family whom I can think of who had those particular health issues. I suppose I'm at some risk but I'm not going to change anything. I already watch my diet pretty carefully, get as much exercise as I can tolerate. No meds for cholesterol or BP yet, and so far no indication of any need for those.

I am a little wary sometimes of doing high intensity interval training, so I usually ease up just short of Zone 5 type efforts. I'm not training for anything. No plans to compete in crits or time trials again. Mostly I just want to be as fit as I can to enjoy group rides without getting dropped and solo rides to occasionally improve my personal bests on Strava. For the sake of preserving my knees I tend to spin more than mash, which may also minimize blood pressure spikes that might be a risk for TIAs.