Old 06-01-06, 09:23 AM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I'll take you under my wing on Wednesday night when we're not going 30mph and when you're not an immediate threat to the well-being of 20 riders.

We'll yell because we don't have time to explain the intricacies and nuance of a paceline at that speed.

I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you.

[snip]

Grabbing someone by the jersey to physically "remove" them from the line doesn't sound entirely safe either. If you've got the time to do that, I think you'd have the time to say something brief. Who are these people you are referring to? Random riders who happen to be out on the road when you guys are doing your training? and they just hop on the back of the line and join up? Or are they joining you at the start of the ride?

I can understand your frustration in some respects because you're going out with an objective and other people are interfering with exactly what you had planned. I'll concede with you on things related to safety, but if you're taking about having to "close a gap", then just deal with it. That's part of what you'll have to put up with by riding on public roads where you can't completely control who joins on or not. Besides, like someone else implied, this could be good race training itself. What are you going to do in a breakaway if someone else slows down or accelerates at the front of the line? What if someone cracks and falls off and they were in the middle of it? Seems like good practice to me.

If it's really that bad, can you find a different route? where I live some of the race rides have taken on a life of their own since they do the same route every week. word gets around and pretty soon everybody in the area knows about it. The fortunate part though is the group usually splinters into several smaller groups according to ability. So the super fast people end up by themselves. If someone else can hang with those guys, more power to them. If these people wanted to do a rotating double whatever, then they would just need to do a different route where people weren't expecting them to ride