Old 09-25-04, 06:32 PM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I use a 2000 Trek 5000 for recreational riding, a 1997 Novara Randonee for commuting and touring, and a 2001 Merdian Cascade tandem for recreational riding, touring, and commuting.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take a multi-vitamin, and extra calcium to address potential bicycling-related bone loss.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I've only been back riding for the last 11 years (starting at 45, see next answer), and during that time I feel I have been getting stronger, or at least not losing ground in some cases, each year.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Had a used Peugeot in college, then a cheap Volkscycle afterward, but was pretty much out of the cycling mode by 24. Got back in at 45 when I started commuting, and gradually expanded to rec riding, tours, centuries, and the like.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Usually do between 6 and 12 centuries or double metrics per year, usually on the tandem. Do a lot of riding with the local club, with rides in the 40-70 mile range. Commuting is a little more complicated since our last move, but we try to fit it in, mostly on the tandem now. We've done the occasional seven-day ride, and some light touring.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Try to ride four days a week. On average, my annual mileage hovers around 5000 miles, with a high of 7100 and a low of 4400.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Biking has taken over most of the other activities; I don't backpack anymore, nor do we go alpine and xcountry skiing like we used to 10-15 years ago. We get a lot of walking in, and have morning weight lifting routines that we drag ourselves out of bed for. Hate it, but whatcha gonna do?

I'll be turning 57 in November; my wife will be 60 next March.