View Single Post
Old 07-21-19, 11:13 AM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Thanks! I built that myself in '84 when I worked in a Bike Shop in NY. Those tires are Continental Grand Prix Classics - 700 x 25c. They're on Mavic Open Ceramic rims. I was a little hesitant about getting the 25c since I usually had used 23s. But, I "had to have" a classic skin-wall look. When I mounted them, they looked a little wide to me (based on what I was used to seeing on those rims), but I am extremely happy with the ride. I even had to use them on about a half-mile of gravel on one ride and they did not disappoint. My only problem with them is: I cannot get the rear wheel out of the dropouts if the tire is inflated; there is not enough room behind the seat tube. Luckily, I can jam the bike in the back of my or my wife's car if need -be with just the front wheel off.
Wow, so awesome you built that in '84! Thanks for sharing. I definitely thought wider, but maybe its because of the smaller frame size. I've seen those grand prixs and they sure are good looking!